Monday, February 20, 2012

Blackouts and Bleach

I am pretty sure that my hands are going to smell like bleach for the rest of this week. I'm not sure who thought Clorox wipes were a good idea, but I disagree. And even more so, who thought they would be a good idea to use in a hospital to wipe down equipment? Cavi wipes are much better because they don't smell and they don't make me smell. I have gagged several times today because of the smell of  bleach. Blah!

And if you know me, you know that I have a fainting problem on occasion. It has been quite a while since I've actually fainted, maybe 3 or 4 years since the last time. I'm sure my preceptor thought I was passing out because of the blood spouting, but that definitely wasn't it. I think maybe I just needed something to eat and/or drink. Maybe my blood sugar was low, although that's never been determined to be the issue. Anyway, I was standing there in the ICU holding the art line and next thing I know I am uncontrollably hot and I notice my vision blurring. I just said, "I've gotta take these gloves out. Okay, I'm gonna step out here for a second. It's really hot in here." I made it to a chair at the nursing station right outside the room. I almost slipped off the chair as soon as I sat down haha. I pulled the trashcan out and put my head down. I was sweating ridiculous amounts, I was so sweaty I almost looked like I had taken a shower! I don't remember the next few moments other than a ringing that just got louder and louder and the pressure in my head got greater and greater. I'm fairly sure I blacked out, but I did not fall out of the chair. I was trying so hard to hold onto the counter to avoid falling on the floor. How embarrassing would that be?! I pray that does not happen again. From now on, I will be eating breakfast on clinical days! Lesson learned!

No comments: