Thursday, February 14, 2013

85 Days...

...if you're counting weekends and holidays! The graduation date has been announced for May 11, and of course it's bright and early at 10 a.m. It seems like yesterday I was quitting my job to pursue this 21-month adventure. And now, we're in the middle of month 19. Yay! That's all I have to say about that.

During my lunch break between classes on Tuesday, I went to the grocery store to get everything I needed to pass out resumes. Didn't know that things from the grocery store could accompany a resume? Well they did! After class, I whipped up quite the list of goodies to pass out to various clinical sites. I made peanut butter brownies, chocolate chip chocolate cheesecake squares, chocolate cheesecake cupcakes, and banana coconut bread. I wanted to let each place know how  much I appreciated them for allowing me to rotate at their facility and for everything I learned during my time there. I used my cute little note cards that were pink and green and everything bright! Of course, I left my resume with the goodies! I want my  name to stand out from everyone else in my class and from any other school rotating through those facilities.

However, my luck stinks. Out of the 5 places, I never saw a single manager. I have great timing! I was feeling somewhat discouraged after the first couple of places because I had seen no one that I knew. If you know me, you know that I don't like being noticed in public. I felt very awkward and very noticeable as I carried in a huge container of food. Ha you wouldn't believe I felt like I would be looked at suspiciously, as if I had a bomb in my hands. Stupid I know. It's just a scary thing to be a big girl and to be looking for a job where you don't have someone on the inside looking out for you.

When I got to the third hospital, I saw some of my great preceptors who quickly took notice of me dressed to impress. They were so excited that I had cupcakes for them! That was all I needed to be reassured of my goals! There was not a soul around when I strolled into the next place. But it was okay. I knew just where to place everything so it would be seen!

Today, I went to the last place on my list. This was the largest hospital I planned to go to, one of the two major hospitals we rotated at throughout the program. I was extremely nervous and kept waiting to actually go through with it. I wore a dress with leggings and boots and my jean jacket. I was worried I was too casual, but I knew deep down that I was looking good haha! Again, there were no supervisors in sight. But the team leader was there and a couple of preceptors I had been with before. To my surprise, they remembered me! The butterflies went away and I was at ease. I gave them my spill about being thankful and appreciative and told them I brought them bread. I may have rambled about licking the bowl and how good it was before baking. They were blown away that I made them something!

My spirits are high! I am hopeful for any news that is to come!

No comments: