Monday, May 16, 2011

I Know I've Been Missing...

There has just been a lot going on these last few weeks.

Last weekend was my 23rd birthday!!! And then it was my sister's birthday the next day (I won't be mean and tell her age like I usually do), which was also Mother's Day, and that just so happens to be the same day my grandma had a stroke and was taken to the hospital. So to say last weekend was busy would be an understatement. But everything worked out and we just made do the best we could.

My grandma is still in the hospital, so it's been a week and one day so far. The plans are for her to be transferred to a rehabilitation facility in the next day or so, but every time we hear a date, it gets pushed back again. The doctors actually think she had been having a series of mini-strokes over the couple of weeks preceding. She is alert and very much herself. The main thing affected was her swallowing, which is at 40%. We were told that 50% is considered safe, so that is why she will be going to rehab. She is not allowed to have any food or drink which makes her voice very weak and hoarse. But her sense of humor is still shining through! She turned 89 on Thursday. I can only pray that I live to be that old and in the shape she is in (despite the stroke). After rehab she will probably go to a nursing home, but that decision has not been made yet (and I'm not sure if she knows that).

If everyone would please pray for my grandma that she would have a quick recovery and that she will have understanding when my dad and uncles tell her the living situation for after rehab. She has been living alone since my papa died nearly 5 years ago. They have been trying to sell her house for a few months now, but with the market it is not looking very good. And although her health seems okay right now, she is not the same as she was 2 weeks ago or even 2 months ago.

I have been praying that I would have understanding that my grandma is not young and she is not able to do all of the things she used to do with me. After my papa died, I was very depressed (never diagnosed by a doctor, but I'm smart enough to figure these things out). And sometimes I think I'm still fighting my way out of that depression. I feel like my life is finally getting back on track, especially with school. I am very afraid that if my grandma passes that I will be even more depressed and I won't be able to keep myself on top of schoolwork. I don't want to start this school thing all over again like I did in the past.

No comments: