Tuesday, January 25, 2011

30 Days of Truth - Day 17

A book I've read that changed my views on something...

That would have to be Where the Red Fern Grows. I read this book in elementary school. I think I read it for a book report. To this day, that is the only book that has ever made me cry. Before I read this book, I loved animals and I loved my dog, Bambi. But after reading this book, I had a new appreciation for Bambi. And I see pets in a completely different way. A pet is more than just an animal. They are family. I used to come home after school and tell Bambi about my day. If I had a bad day, I would hold her and sometimes I would cry. She would lick my tears and she always made me feel better. I still love Bambi very much. Even though I don't live at home anymore, whenever I visit my parents I make sure to make Bambi know that I still love her and I haven't forgotten about her. Now she is 14 years old, is on a special diet, and gets sick often. I know that she won't last much longer and I can't help but think back to when the dogs died in Where the Red Fern Grows and how sad I was. Those dogs were the boy's best friends. I cried because I felt so bad for the boy. And I know I will cry just as much when Bambi is gone.

No comments: