Wednesday, September 7, 2011

When Things Come Together

Before leaving my job to physically go to school full-time, I rarely worried about money. I mean, I worried about spending too much and saving enough. But I didn't worry if we would make enough to pay the bills. When I realized that I was not going to be working full-time and would become dependent on my husband, I admit that I was scared (I still am on occasion)! I was worried that we wouldn't have enough to make ends meet. We'd most certainly be giving up anything fun and extra.

This is the first month that we've had to buckle down on our budget (even though I haven't worked in almost a month). I'm not going to lie and say that it has been a breeze. It definitely has not been a breeze! It's tough to cook at home more nights than not. I'm still working on that. I'm exhausted most days, so cooking is even less fun than before. But I am improving, and Matthew is helping out on occasion. We even had a cheap "date" on Monday. We went to Raleigh and spent less than $30 on lunch and at the mall! Definitely a first haha.

The thought of me not having any income for nearly two years was scary. But things have come together over the last few weeks, and I will have some sort of income each month. It won't be a steady income, but it's something to stick in savings to help cover the cost of gifts, fun, school, and the unexpected. I wish that I could work full-time and make enough money to constantly save. I'd save every last dime if I could! Too bad things cost so much. But at the same time, I am glad that I am not committed to a full-time job right now. School is a lot more work than I have encountered with past classes. I so appreciate this time I have each afternoon and weekend to concentrate on my homework! I know it won't last forever, and I have less than two years to get this career figured out.

So you may be wondering what I'll be doing for this not-so-stable income! Some of you may know that I am still going to be filling in on occasion at the job I left haha. Can you call it that if you didn't really leave? I'm also going to be staying with my Grandma once a week (maybe twice) to help her out around the house and run errands. I'm so happy that I get to do this (as frustrating as she can be). These are moments I wouldn't pass up for anything! Sometimes I'll work with my dad and help them out. I'm also free for babysitting if anyone needs me or if you want to pass the word on to other people you know! I'll be having a yardsale with this girl in October! I've got lots of stuff to get rid of! And I think I'm going to start selling some of the crafts I've been making! I hadn't thought about doing that until someone else mentioned that I should. I have been crafting like crazy! But I'm excited to start showing ya'll what all I've been making! I've also considered making myself available to make gifts for teachers, shopping for Christmas gifts (for those who don't have time or those who want to get stuff for a deal!), maybe putting together gift baskets, and whatever else I can imagine!

It's so nice when things come together better than you ever expected they would!

No comments: