Friday, November 19, 2010

Thanksgiving Thoughts

I have linked up at the little things we do this week for fill in the blank friday.

1. My Thanksgiving plans this year will include... eating at Matthew's grandparents' for lunch. His grandpa is the cook in the family. I don't always enjoy eating his food though. I'm getting very picky about the food I eat. I don't like most foods seasoned with salt. I don't add salt when I cook, and I definitely don't add it to anything that I don't prepare. Matthew's grandpa also cooks with a lot of grease. I'm not a fan of this either. Luckily, my mom is having our Thanksgiving meal at dinner time. So I will load up then! But the worst part of the day is that Matthew has to work all afternoon and into the evening.


2. My favorite Thanksgiving was... I don't remember a specific one that was my favorite. I do remember my least favorite. It was my freshman year of college. My papa had suffered a stroke that August right after I had moved away. He ended up passing away before Thanksgiving. I had become really depressed, to the point that I slept most days and had withdrawn from school. I couldn't face my parents. I wrote a letter to my dad to explain it all because every time I even thought about it I would cry. I felt like I had let my family down. My mom and sister weren't exactly pleasant that Thanksgiving. It was the worst holiday ever!


3. My signature Thanksgiving dish is... green bean casserole. I am always put in charge of this because we always forget it until the last minute and it's super easy. And it's one of my favorite things!


4. My favorite Thanksgiving food is... sweet potato souffle; green bean casserole; broccoli, rice, and cheese casserole; cranberry sauce; corn pudding; homemade dressing (or stuffing.. same thing); pumpkin pie; pecan pie.


5. Thanksgiving free association... laying around all day with nothing else to do (or at least not thinking about it) and nothing being on tv except for parades. blah!


6. Thanksgiving is... a free day off work! But really, it's always full of good food and good visits with family.


7. I am thankful for... Matthew loving me unconditionally (at least until I say I don't want to eat at a Chinese buffet); my parents for all they have ever done for me in the past and will do for me in the future; my sister for being my only true best friend; my grandma being alive to see me grow up; my education; my job; Miss Bambi and Cinnamon Raisin (I'm still convinced they understand every word I say and have accurately responded to all of my questions over the years. If only I understood barking!); my house; everything I have been blessed with throughout my life and for the blessings to come!

1 comment:

Kit said...

You are thankful for some great things. I think that dogs can understand what you are saying to them :)