Monday, June 28, 2010

Honeymoon: Day 3

Still tired, we woke up early and packed our bags before heading down for the continental breakfast. After we ate, we loaded up the car and headed to Boston. It was a very long day in the car with lots of traffic jams. A lot of snacks were consumed! We did stop in Meriden, Connecticut to eat lunch at Ted's Restaurant, home of the steamed cheeseburger! It was super good! The burger was actually huge, and I was barely able to finish the whole thing! It was worth the detour though!

After finally arriving to the hotel, we took a short nap before heading out on the shuttle bus to the metro station. We figured out how to buy tickets and what train to get on and where to get off. I have been on the metro before in DC and in NYC, but every city has its own confusing way of getting you from point a to point b! I basically ended up telling Matthew to just follow the Red Sox fans. And that worked out really well! We ended up right where we needed to be! I have never been on a cruise before, so I'm not sure if I have my sea legs. But I do know that I do not have my metro legs! I can't even walk down the hall without getting a bruise. I need a seat on anything that moves! My arms and lungs are not meant for swinging around like monkeys on branches!

We had an obstructed view at the game. And by obstructed I mean a large pole supporting the entire top realm of the stadium. This pole was massive! The people a couple seats down from us never showed up, so the people next to us were kind enough to slide down so that we could actually see the game! And of course we ate! Matthew got an italian sausage with peppers and onions and a beer! I got a hotdog with mustard and ketchup and nachos and cheese, and of course a diet coke! The people next to us just so happened to have a cousin selling hotdogs in our section. He gave them two for free, and they gave us one! Matthew hogged that one! The game was kind of boring. There was no announcing or music like at the Braves game we went to last summer. But the Red Sox have way more history, and I think the people come for the history and the game. We ended up leaving during the 7th inning hoping we could get back to the hotel before it was too late. Not! We had to wait for the bus for nearly 40 minutes! I was eaten alive by mosquitoes! And of course we had no idea what stop was the one for our hotel, until we saw the hotel! It was close to 11 o'clock before we got back. We left the game before it got dark!

Being the fat tails that we are, we were still hungry! At midnight we decided to go find some food. There aren't fast food places up north like there are here in the south. They are few and far between, and McDonald's is the most popular. We intended to go to McDonald's, given our few options. But across the street was this place called Mike's Roast Beef and Seafood. And it was open! Matthew got a large pastrami sandwich with lettuce and tomato. I ordered a medium roast beef sandwich with horseradish. Delicious!!! I pretty much ate the roast beef and not the bread. I loveeeeeee roast beef! It was warm and red and juicy! So good! This place stays open until 3 a.m. on the weekends and 2 a.m. during the week! Next time you're in Boston, give it a try!

Although the game wasn't the most fun I've ever been to, it definitely felt like you were back in the early 1900's watching baseball in its prime! Just the feeling of being at Fenway gave you chills! Matthew was in awe of where baseball pretty much started! You could see the love in his eyes!

No comments: